Sunday 3 October 2010

Shorty Bonaparte

He wasn't actually short =)
I made Shorty Bonaparte for a friend of mine. He is a Land Before Time fan (just like me) and also a history fanatic. I thought it would be nice to combine the two for a birthday present. Happy Birthday!

It has been a while since I made this sculpture, so I may have forgotten some details.

The Body
Colours used:

Green
Green merged with Yellow
Tan
Transparent
Blue
White

I sculpted the four legs out of the green merged with yellow colour. It made a nice colour for shorty's body. I connected them to a big lump of clay which eventually became the body. I 'pulled' a neck out of the body, which was first longer than it is on the picture right now, but of course when working on it everything gets deformed. The head was shaped with my fingers and put on the neck with an iron pin to keep it secured.

When I had the base it was time to add some details to Shorty. The first thing I did was take the tan, put it over his face and his tummy. Then I made a small cut in his face where his mouth is. I took a patch of green, which I cut in the right shape before applying it to the top of the body (made it shorter for the nose, etc). What you cannot see very well is that there are wrinkles on his back like Littlefoot has them as well.

I put some nails on his front paws with small triangles of transparent clay.The eyes are patches of white polymer clay with a light blue colour on them for the iris, black for the pupil (not really visible on this picture) and white for the reflection. I poked a little ear in the side of his head with a toothpick, which is a bit higher on the left side compared to the side you see it on right now.

The Hat.

Navy
Red
Gold

The hat is made of 2 pieces of navy stuck together on the sides. It fits on shorty's head perfectly. It has a golden outline on top only, and a red/gold medal on it as well. There is an N painted on the front of the hat and an S on the back of the hat.

No comments:

Post a Comment